Santorini is a volcanic island in the Aegean Sea, about 200 km (120 mi) southeast of the Greek mainland. It is part of the Cyclades island group and is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Greece.
The island is known for its stunning caldera, which was formed by a massive volcanic eruption in the 16th century BC. The caldera is a deep, bowl-shaped depression that is filled with the Aegean Sea. The island’s white-washed villages cling to the cliffs of the caldera, creating a dramatic and picturesque landscape.
Santorini is also known for its beautiful beaches, which range from black sand beaches to red sand beaches. The island is a popular destination for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
Things to do in Santorini
- Explore the caldera: The best way to experience the caldera is to take a boat tour. Boat tours typically depart from Fira, the island’s capital.
- Visit the villages of Oia and Fira: Oia is the most popular village on Santorini. It is known for its picturesque setting, whitewashed houses, and stunning views of the caldera. Fira is the capital of Santorini and is also a popular tourist destination. It is known for its narrow streets, shops, and restaurants.
- Relax on the beach: Santorini has a variety of beaches to choose from, including black sand beaches, red sand beaches, and pebble beaches.
- Go swimming, sunbathing, or water sports: Santorini is a popular destination for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
- Visit the archaeological site of Akrotiri: Akrotiri was an ancient Minoan city that was buried by the volcanic eruption in the 16th century BC. The site has been excavated and is open to the public.
Akrotiri archaeological site, Santorini
- Take a cooking class: Santorini is known for its delicious food. There are many cooking classes available on the island that teach you how to make traditional Greek dishes.
- Go shopping: Santorini has a variety of shops selling souvenirs, clothing, and other items.
Santorini is a beautiful and exciting island that offers something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing vacation or an adventurous one, Santorini is sure to please.