Accommodation Options in Mongolia
In Mongolia, you will find a range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences.
Here are some popular accommodation options in Mongolia:
- Hotels: Mongolia’s major cities, such as Ulaanbaatar and Darkhan, offer a variety of hotels catering to different budgets. In Ulaanbaatar, you can find luxury hotels with modern amenities, including international chains like Shangri-La, Kempinski, and Ramada. There are also mid-range and budget hotels available that provide comfortable rooms and basic amenities.
- Ger Camps: A unique accommodation option in Mongolia is staying in traditional Mongolian gers, also known as yurts. Ger camps are located in scenic areas such as national parks and offer an authentic nomadic experience. These camps provide comfortable gers with beds, traditional furnishings, and communal bathroom facilities. Some ger camps also offer dining facilities, cultural performances, and outdoor activities.
- Guesthouses and Homestays: In rural areas and smaller towns, guesthouses and homestays are popular options. These accommodations provide a chance to experience the local way of life and interact with Mongolian families. Guesthouses typically offer private rooms or shared dormitories, while homestays provide a more immersive experience of living with a local family.
- Tourist Ger Camps: In popular tourist areas like the Gobi Desert or Khuvsgul Lake, you will find tourist ger camps that cater specifically to travelers. These camps offer more comfortable amenities compared to traditional ger camps, including private bathrooms, hot showers, and sometimes even Wi-Fi. They often organize guided tours and activities.
- Eco-Lodges: Mongolia has been promoting eco-tourism, and eco-lodges have emerged as an environmentally friendly accommodation option. These lodges are designed to have minimal impact on the surrounding nature and provide sustainable practices. They offer comfortable rooms or gers, organic food, and opportunities for eco-friendly activities.
- Ger Homestays: For a more intimate and immersive experience, some nomadic families offer ger homestays. These allow you to live with a herding family and participate in their daily activities like herding livestock, milking animals, or cooking traditional meals. Ger homestays offer a unique insight into Mongolian nomadic culture and traditions.
It’s important to note that in remote areas, the accommodation options may be limited to basic guesthouses or ger camps. Additionally, during peak tourist seasons or popular events, it is advisable to book accommodations in advance to ensure availability.